Urologists located in Bloomington, IN
Kidney stones are one of the most painful medical conditions you can experience. The expert team at Summit Urology in Bloomington, Indiana, offers state-of-the-art treatments that provide the most efficient, convenient, and comfortable kidney stone care available. Call Summit Urology or schedule an appointment online today to learn more about your kidney stone treatment options.
Kidney Stones Q & A
What are kidney stones?
A kidney stone is a hard rock or crystalline particle in the urinary tract. Made from minerals and salts, these hard deposits often form when urine gets too concentrated, and the minerals crystallize and then stick together.
Kidney stones form inside your kidneys but can affect your entire urinary tract including your bladder. People of all ages can get kidney stones.
What are the symptoms of kidney stones?
Kidney stones can be incredibly painful. You may not have any symptoms until the stone passes into the ureter, the tube that connects your kidney and bladder. When symptoms develop, they may include:
- Pain with urination
- Discolored, cloudy, or foul-smelling urine
- Severe pain below the ribs in the side or back
- Pain radiating to the groin and lower abdomen
- Frequent urination
- Passing small amounts of urine
- Fever and chills
- Nausea and vomiting
How are kidney stones diagnosed and treated?
If you think you have a kidney stone, you should contact Summit Urology immediately. It’s best to not eat or drink anything before your appointment so that you can immediately receive treatment for your kidney stone.
Same-day appointments are always available, ensuring that kidney stones can be treated quickly as soon your doctor diagnosis them. Pain management solutions also keep you as comfortable as possible while you explore your treatment options.
Summit Urology provides advanced diagnostics and treatment technologies that include state-of-the-art X-ray facilities and a Dornier Compact Delta® lithotripsy unit for the treatment of kidney stones using shock waves. Over 90% of the procedures patients may require can be done on site. To ensure your comfort, anesthesiologists from the hospital come to Summit Urology when they’re needed.
Kidney stone treatments provided by the team at Summit Urology include:
- Lithotripsy (shockwave treatment): pulverizes kidney stones so you can pass them with minimal discomfort
- Holmium laser treatment: utilizes a small glass fiber to transmit laser energy directly to a visualized stone
- Flexible ureteroscopy: reaches the stone by using probes and a fiber optic laser passed through the bladder to break up stones
- Surgery (called a percutaneous nephrostolithotomy): often performed with minimal incisions when large stones are located in the kidneys
For small stones that aren’t painful, your urologist may recommend observing the kidney stone to see if it will pass on its own. In this case, X-rays — often done at Summit Urology — are used to track the stone’s progress.
Call or schedule an appointment online to learn more about kidney stone treatment at Summit Urology today.